- Extra Firm Tofu 250 g
- Oil 3 tbsp
- Cornflour 2 tbsp
- Sesame seeds 1 tsp ( for garnishing )
- Soy sauce 1 tbsp
- Tomato ketchup 1 tbsp
- Capsicum 2 medium-sized ( sliced in cube shape )
- Onion 1 medium-sized ( sliced in cube shape )
- Ginger 1 Inch Piece ( Finely Chopped )
- Garlic 4 big size cloves ( Finely Chopped )
- Red chillis 1 ( Finely Chopped )
- Black Pepper 1/2 tsp
- Salt 1 tsp
- Press tofu slightly between your palms to drain out the excess moisture from it. Now cut it into thick pieces of about 1-inch of length. Keep them aside.
- Now prepare batter to coat tofu. For that add cornflour, 1 pinch of black pepper powder, ½ tsp of salt in a bowl.
- Make semi-thick consistency batter using water. Coat all the tofu pieces with it.
- Now heat 2 tbsp oil in a non-stick pan and shallow fry all the tofu pieces from both sides until they turn golden brown.
- Keep all the pieces in a plate aside.
- Add the remaining 1 tbsp oil in the pan. Now add ginger, garlic and chillies.
- Saute them until raw smell goes away.
- Add onion and saute until it becomes translucent.
- Now add capsicum and saute for 1-2 minutes on medium flame.
- After this add soy sauce, tomato ketchup, remaining black pepper powder, and salt to it. Mix all the ingredients well. Saute for half a minute.
- Pour half cup of water. Bring it to boil.
- Now mix some more water to leftover cornstarch batter. Keep the consistency watery.
- Add it to the gravy now.
- Cook the gravy for half a minute more.
- Now add all the tofu pieces and mix them well with the gravy. Remove from the heat.
- Add some sesame seeds at the end and give a good mix.
- Chilli tofu is ready. Garnish with more sesame seeds while serving. It looks tempting.
You may use Regular tofu for this dish. There is not any hard and fast rule for tofu selection.