Semolina/Sooji 1 cup
Water 3 cup
Mustard seeds 1 teaspoon
Green chillies 1-2 (finely chopped)
Capsicum 1 cup (finely chopped)
Onion 1 cup (finely chopped)
Curry leaves 7-8
Salt 1 teaspoon
Red chilli powder ½ teaspoon
Oil 1 tablespoon
The method of preparation:
- First roast sooji in a pan for 4-5 minutes on medium flame or until it turns a little bit fragrant. But keep one thing in mind that don't over roast it. It should not be brown. Otherwise the taste of the upma will change.
- Remove sooji from pan and transfer it into another bowl or plate.
- Now put another pan on the stove.
- Pour oil and let it be medium hot and add Mustard seeds in oil. When Mustard seeds going to be spluttered add Curry Leaves, Green Chillies, capsicum, Salt, Red chilli powder, and mix them. Immediately after this add sooji and cashew nuts and saute for 1 minute at least.
- Add water and mix in clockwise mode a little bit fast when the mixture turns thick cover it with lid and after ½ minute turn off the stove.
- Let it be covered for at least 5 minutes as it is and your Upma is ready.
Serve hot. Garnish with cashews and coriander. It will taste great.
1. You can roast sooji in advance and store in an airtight container for a month. It will minimize the cooking time.
2. You can use more veggies as per availability.
3. You can squeeze some lemon juice on it while serving. It will enhance the flavors more.
4. Use ghee or oil freely to make upma more soft and tasty.
5. In nuts you can add peanuts too while adding cashews according to your choice.