It is a spicy Indian style Tofu curry. Can be served with rice, naan and chapatis in the main course. This recipe is full of protein.
Tofu is also known as bean curd. It is a good source of protein for vegetarians and vegans. Soy milk is coagulated and pressed to get the solid white blocks of varying softness. It can be of silken, soft, firm and extra firm. You can choose any of these.
Usually, tofu has a bad rap in India due to its flavour as compared to Indian paneer. But Indian paneer has too many calories and fat. I am also Indian paneer lover but whenever I am looking for low fat and protein-rich food Tofu always wins. As my husband doesn’t like it I always do a lot of experiments with this so that I can add this to my family’s diet in a delicious way. One of those recipes I wanna share with you guys. Whether you are a Tofu fan or not, this recipe will make you fall in love with it and that’s my guarantee. So let’s discuss the recipe “Spicy Tofu Curry in Indian Style”.
- Extra Firm Tofu 250g
- Oil 2 tbsp
- Cow Milk 1 small cup
- Cloves 2
- Star Anise 1
- Cinnamon 2 inch stick
- Bay leaf 1
- Black Pepper 2
- Onion 1 ( Pureed )
- Tomato 2 ( Pureed )
- Garlic 4 Cloves ( Finely Chopped )
- Ginger 1 Inch Piece ( Finely Chopped )
- Green Chillies 1 ( Finely Chopped )
- Salt 1 tsp
- Turmeric 1 tsp
- Cayenne Pepper ½ tsp
- Coriander Powder 1 and 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder 1 tsp
- Press tofu slightly between your palms to drain out the excess moisture from it. Now cut it into small pieces. Keep it in the refrigerator until gravy is prepared.
- Let’s make curry now. Heat oil in a pan. Once hot add cinnamon stick, cloves, star anise, bay leaf and whole black pepper. Saute for a few seconds until they become fragrant.
- Now add finely chopped garlic, green chillies and ginger. Saute them for a minute or until the raw smell goes away on medium flame.
- Add pureed onion and saute until it turns golden brown.
- Now add tomato puree and let it cook until it releases oil.
- Add Turmeric powder, Coriander powder, Garam masala powder and cayenne pepper. Saute them for a minute.
- Add milk slowly while whisking the curry. Now cook it for a minute more.
- Add salt to it.
- Now add tofu finally, mix it well, cover the pan and put off the flame.
Curry is ready. Serve it hot.
- If onion puree begins to stick to the bottom of the pan while the sauteing process, add some water to it.
- If you are a vegan then you can replace the cow milk with coconut milk.
- If you don’t have cayenne pepper use degi mirch for colour and add strong red chilli powder for extra spiciness as degi mirch is not that much spicy. But no doubt It gives colour and flavour to the dish.
- In the whole cooking process heat should be medium.
- Don’t add salt before milk by mistake even otherwise the milk will be curdled and the recipe will not come as expected.
- Don’t cook the curry too much after adding milk.
- Make sure to use extra-firm tofu for this recipe.