Prep Time20 Mins
Cook Time20 Mins
Upma is a traditional south Indian breakfast recipe. Basically made with semolina ( also known as sooji or rava ), spices, veggies, and nuts. Today it’s popular in most parts of India and prepared in different ways. It’s easy to make a breakfast staple. Whether you are a newbie, student, or a bachelor trying to make breakfast in a limited time or with less effort, go for it. It’s a highly nutritious, easiest, and quickest breakfast option. Most of the Indian breakfast items need much time for preparation and cooking but it takes merely 20-25 minutes.
In most restaurants, it is often served with coconut chutney. But I personally like it with tomato ketchup and a cup of tea at home and It’s quite filling. You can relish this dish with your choice of combination. Nowadays there are many variants of upma like sooji upma, oats upma, bread upma, etc. For now, we are talking about sooji upma.
Semolina/Sooji/Rava 1 cup
Water 2 cup
Curry leaves 7-8
Oil 1 tbsp
Coriander a handful
Lemon juice 1 tbsp
Chana dal or Bengal gram 1 tsp
Urad dal 1 tsp
Mustard seeds 1 tsp
Cumin seeds 1 tsp
Ginger 1 inch (finely chopped)
Green chilies 1-2 (finely chopped)
Carrot 1 medium (finely chopped)
Beans 1/2 cup (finely chopped)
Onion 1 medium (finely chopped)
Salt 1 tsp
Red chili powder ½ tsp
How to make Rava Upma:
- First, roast sooji in a pan for 4-5 minutes on medium flame or until it turns a little bit fragrant. But keep one thing in mind that don’t over roast it. It should not be brown. Otherwise the taste of the upma will change.
- Remove sooji from pan and transfer it into another bowl or plate.
- Now pour oil in the pan and let it be medium hot.
- Add Mustard seeds in oil.
- When Mustard seeds splutter add Chana dal and Urad dal.
- When Chana dal and Urad dal turns golden brown add Cumin seeds, Curry Leaves, Green Chillies, Ginger. Saute for 2 seconds just.
- Now add Onion, Carrot, Beans, Cashews. Saute them for half a minute.
- Add Salt, Red chili powder, water. Cover the pan for 2 minutes at least. So that veggies can cook a little bit.
- After 2 minutes add Sooji to it. Mix it using spatula well.
- when the mixture turns thick cover it with lid for a minute and turn off the stove after that.
- Now add Coriander and Lemon juice to it and mix well. Your Upma is ready.
Serve hot. Garnish with cashews and coriander. It will taste great.